One of my all time favourite desserts has to be Banoffee Pie. Cheesecake is also up there in my top ten, so I was in heaven this weekend when I made and enjoyed the ultimate Banoffee Cheesecake. A dessert so light and creamy it just melts in the mouth. In my opinion this is one of James Martin’s best dessert recipes, in fact, it is just too delicious to even think about messing with the ingredients. So here is the recipe unadulterated.
For the base
200g digestive biscuits,crushed (use a food processor to get a fine crumb)
100g butter ,melted, plus extra for frying
4 bananas, peeled and sliced
For the cheesecake
150ml double cream
3x280g tubs of full fat cream cheese ( any brand works fine)
85g icing sugar, sifted
1tbsp maple syrup
300g dulce de leche
For the topping
150g double cream
25g dulce de leche
1. Mix the crushed digestives with the melted butter. Put the mixture into a 23 cm springform tin and press down firmly. Chill in the fridge.
2. Peel the bananas and slice. Heat the frying pan until hot then add a knob of butter and the bananas. Fry for 2-3 mins until light golden brown. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
3. Arrange the cooled bananas on top of the biscuit base.
4. For the cheesecake base whisk the double cream until softly whipped. Put the cream cheese and icing sugar into another bowl and mix until smooth. Add the whipped cream to the cheese mixture along with the maple syrup and the dulce de leche.
5. Spoon the mixture on the top of the banana base. Smooth the top using a palette knife. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
6. For the topping, whip the double cream and put into a piping bag with a star nozzle and set aside. Melt the dulce de leche over a low heat with a splash of water until it can be drizzled. Put this into another piping bag or make a grease proof piping bag and snip the end to leave a tiny hole ( you could also use a plastic food bag and snip the end).
7. Remove cheesecake from tin and swirl the dulce de leche over the top of the cheesecake
Pipe swirls of cream around the edge of cheesecake
Decorate with banana pieces ( I used dried banana chips)
Enjoy…..I certainly did. Thank You James Martin I will certainly be making this again.